About Raw Food
So what’s the deal with Raw Pet Foods? Is it really beneficial for my pet, or is it just a gimmick?
- Dogs and other carnivores are naturally equipped to digest raw feed.
- Raw feed is higher in natural amino acids, vitamins, minerals, and enzymes that maintain good weight, shiny coats, and good heart health.
- On a raw diet, you can expect your pet to be healthier, more energetic, have a better coat and have less digestive problems.
- Pets on raw diets also have less water intake, brighter eyes, cleaner teeth and better breath.
- Also: less poop to scoop!
- Note: Raw diets are usually higher in protein. If your pet is kidney-compromised, veterinarians suggest food lower in protein.
- But what about bacteria levels!? While higher than in commercial feeds, we work to keep bacteria levels as low as possible. Our safe practices in conjunction with your pets’ natural stomach acid and antibacterial saliva should prevent any bacterial problems.
Quality Products Require Quality Handling
- Our products contain raw meat and are perishable. Please handle with care and keep frozen.
- Use good house-keeping standard, and keep product away from human food.
- Wash hands after handling.
- Thaw portions before feeding and refrigerate unused portions until use. Do not feed if spoiled.
- Chosen Raw Pet Foods cannot be held responsible for improper handling.
- Our products are for pets only and not for human consumption.
- In additions, you may visit the Government of Canada’s site for Food and Nutrition and General Food Safety Tips
REMEMBER: All Products are for Animal Consumption only!
All the feed products prepared and sold by our supplier are not cooked. All the ingredients are inspected by Federal or Provincial agents. The ingredients are immediately frozen. All machinery used at our supply feed kitchen is regularly washed and disinfected. We do our best to ensure that all our feed products are as fresh and free of bacteria as possible.
Our Raw Pet Food is kept frozen at -20C or below. It is frozen to retain goodness. Keep Chosen Raw Pet Food servings in the freezer until ready to use. Keep safely stored away from human food, and wash your hands after touching raw meat products.
We recommend moving a patty of frozen food into a sealed container and placing in your refrigerator to thaw overnight.
Chosen Raw Pet Foods, its suppliers, and their affiliates cannot be responsible for the inappropriate storage and unsafe use of raw meat.
Introducing Raw Foods into your pet's diet
- Changes to your pet’s diet should be done gradually to allow for accommodation. Sudden changes in diet may cause diarrhea or vomiting.
- Introduce smaller portions at first (either as treats or mixed into the current food).
- Continue until the commercial feed is fully replaced by raw product.
- It is quite common for a dog to skip meals if they are satisfied and full.
- Most dogs require about a portion of about 2-4% of their body weight. As a simple rule of thumb: If the animal gains too much, then you’re feeding too much.
Why we choose our ingredients
Ingredients in our “RAW DOG FOOD”, according to availability:
- Lean Chicken or Turkey, ground (in bone meat or deboned muscle meat)
- Chicken or Turkey organ meats (heart, liver)
- Beef muscle meats, fine-ground Beef bone
- Beef organ meats (heart, kidney, spleen, liver or tripe)
- Pork* organ meats (heart, kidney, spleen, liver or tripe)
- (*Pork products are frozen for a minimum of 3 weeks before use for added safety)
- Fish**, whole or racks (Cod, Pollock, Trout, Salmon, Herring, and others)
- (**Fish products are frozen for a minimum of 2 weeks before use for added safety)
- Cooked eggs, to prevent biotin deficiency
- Fortified Cereals***, heated for higher digestibility
- (***Cereals are carefully selected to enhance the formulation and NOT added as filler)
Ingredients in our “TREATS”:
- Whole Wheat flour
Whole grains are packed with fibre, protein, vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants. The ‘whole’ in whole wheat flour is key since they use the whole wheat kernel – the endosperm, bran and germ.
- Dark Buckwheat Flour
Buckwheat flour is a gluten free substitute and is considered a fruit seed. It is low on the glycemic scale, making it a great option for dogs with diabetes. It also contains soluble fibre that is easily digested.
- Potato Flour
Is a great starch as it improves digestion.
- Brown Rice Flour
Is full of natural fibre and is an excellent source of carbohydrates, vitamins (D and B) and minerals.
- Oat Flour
A whole grain that is simply oats ground into a fine powder. This flour is nutritionally dense, gluten-free and low in sugar. It is full of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals.
- Whole Eggs
Eggs are highly digestible and is a quality source of protein with iron, vitamins, minerals and carotenoids. The egg is powerhouse of disease fighting nutrients like lutein and zeaxanthin for vision.
- Milk Powder
A great source of calcium filled with riboflavin, Vitamin B12 & D, and phosphorous.
Cinnamon helps to maintain a healthy weight, helps with arthritis relief and has anti-inflammatory properties.
Turmeric is a super herb that has anti-inflammatory and nutritive properties. It helps reduce inflammation of joints, helps improve liver function, helps irritable bowel symptoms, supports the heart and circulatory function boosting the immune system and is a strong anti-oxidant.
Has high levels of chlorophyll which helps with doggy breath. It is also rich in vitamin C, A, K and high in dietary fibre.
Rosemary is a natural flea repellant, contains antioxidants, good for digestion with its anti-microbial properties.
Improves dog’s digestive health, rich in vitamins A, C, K, iron, manganese and calcium. It is a very good anti-oxidant.
- Black Pepper
Black pepper helps absorb turmeric into the dog’s blood, and is high in antioxidants and anti -inflammatory properties.
- Blackstrap Molasses
Blackstrap Molasses is loaded with manganese and is an antioxidant that helps build healthy bones. It is also full of iron and copper and other minerals.
- Brewer’s Yeast
Is a high quality source of essential amino acids, protein, rich in B vitamins, high in selenium, potassium, chromium, iron, zinc and magnesium and anti-oxidants. It promotes healthy skin, hair, eyes and liver functions.
- Ground Flax seeds
Flax are rich in fibre, protein, anti-inflammatory properties and loaded with omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids. The fibre is good for digestion and the protein provides energy and keeps the immune system strong. Flax seeds can improve the cardiovascular health and maintains a healthy skin and coat.
- Wheat Germ
Wheat Germ is a good source of omega 3 fatty acids. Omega 3 fatty acids helps ease dry itchy skin and boost the immune system.
- Sea Salt
Dogs also need salt to maintain cellular functions like fluid balance, acid-base balance and nerve signal transmission.
- Cold Pressed Virgin Olive Oil
Olive Oil is important to maintain a healthier skin and coat. It contains essential vitamins, nutrients and anti-oxidants.
- Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has beneficial enzymes, pectin and minerals.
- Whey Powder
Whey Powder is an excellent source of high quality protein, containing all of the essential amino acids.